Friday, January 15, 2016

The Army is all he knows...

The Army is all he knows.

We went from being a part time bagger after school to a weapon toting, security providing  infantryman. Then after that, a comsec communication repairer.. Still in the army. Now he is getting out and he hasn't a clue as to how to interview, develop a resume, etc.

Now don't get me wrong, the army has classes on resume writing and interviewing. If your soldier is anything like mine, he's either stubborn and didn't pay attention or he has a bad memory (could be the TBI) and forgot it all. Either way, I stayed up late last night developing a halfway decent resume for him to use today at a job fair. 

I sometimes worry about how he will handle the transition from military to civilian life. Somedays, I am confident and just know he will do well. Other days, I get anxious and worried. Last night, I was definitely worried. I started rattling off interview questions and pretty much answered them myself because he had a deer-in-the-headlights look about him. I know this is all new to him but I couldn't help but get frustrated. When he started answering the questions, he was a little too candid. I reminded him to keep his answers very matter of fact without sounding full of yourself. When asking him to tell me a little about himself, he almost started from birth. Keep it general. Short and sweet! I'm not a professional interview guru, but I've done my fair share of interviews from both sides of the desk. 

Today will be his first real interview and I have high hopes for him. Not so much that he will get hired on the spot, although, that would rock. My hopes are that he learns from this experience and gets stronger and stronger. I am so proud of him and sometimes I may not convey that pride to him. That is something I need to work on.

My thoughts: it's time to work on humbling my speech and tone and learn how to convey a firm, yet kind and caring tone. Life isn't all gum drops and rainbows.. But it isn't mud and grit either.

Prayer: God, I know you know the intention of my heart. Help me to be slow to anger and frustrate. Be with my dear husband every step of the way in this new journey and chapter of our lives. In your name, I pray, amen!



No comments:

Post a Comment